Money saving with online shopping… a creative mindset
Claudine and I realise that wherever we go, we enter into the wonderful world of possibility. We never really know what or who will arrive or how things will unfold however we do know that when we approach it with an openness and curiosity, we often discover things we weren’t looking for – yet provide a significant value and benefit to our own mission.
That would sum up the story behind meeting Linda. On first glance talking about Buz on Biz seemed like a great concept albeit with little relevance to our community. Then of course upon further exploration it hit! Of course it has relevance… and that’s what we explored through this interview.
More than that however, what really stood out about Linda is that she modelled the message we love to live by and share – that being – be open, look for what is actually happening and available, explore possibilities and take that step into it, when it feels right for you…
So for those of you looking for new age ways of saving money from your usual shopping lists and shops (which found to be the case when our income reduced going through cancer) this approach may be something you wish to explore further. Linda shares some great tips on how to get the most out of it too…
Thanks again Linda for sharing with us…
|Your Name||Linda Elletson|
|City of Residence||Adelaide, South Australia|
|Occupation or Experience||Self Employed for approx. 20 years|
|Your Passions/Interests||Supporting Entrepreneurs as early as possible to point them in the right direction with like minded businesses/people|
|A favourite quote||‘You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know” when going into business|
What is your business and how did your interest start?
My business is Buz On Biz. I was missing out on network events so I asked my networking colleagues if they would use and pay for a consolidated calendar of network events in Adelaide and the response was very positive – so I built the website. Although it hasn’t been used as much as the feedback indicated it is part of the whole service.
Can you explain more about how online shopping platforms work and the benefits that brings?
The online shopping I am involved with gives you ‘Cash’ Back in your account
I have nothing against points, however, the only time I personally have used points in with Qantas Frequent Flyer to upgrade or book my flights which I like
The majority of people I talk to are always looking at different ways to save money or make money – ethically!!
As part of my businesses I show people how to generate revenue and save money in different areas
I joined the Global Online Shopping Rewards program early 2016 because really saw the value in saving money and supporting local Adelaide business on one platform
On the Buz On Biz Rewards platform you save in 2 ways
- Upfront when you purchase an ECard from major supermarkets and department stores
- Cash Back – when you shop with over 15,000 online stores
And the savings you make are on top of any product/service that is on sale
- Someone suggested to me that were going to have the money put into a separate account and use for Christmas
- However, it is your money so you can decide where we send it and how you spend it
How would you suggest people make the most of and take advantage of these types of platforms?
If you don’t already shop online, it can take a little while to adjust your thinking to go online to shop, however, once you have that thought process you will be amazed at the savings
With 15,000 online stores you can pretty much buy anything you need from booking travel and accommodation, furniture, computers, food, clothing, shoes etc
With a platform such as ours, we strongly promote Local Business in Adelaide and encourage businesses to collaborate and work together.
What would people look for when selecting an online shopping platform that brings the greatest savings and benefits?
Check the savings, fees to join, check the stores you can shop with… and if you like to shop local, what is available there.
In what way can these online platforms support and be of benefit to someone going through cancer or perhaps with limited time and ability to physically shop in their community?
- Saving money when you may be out of work
- Having items delivered to your door because you may not feel up to going out
- Treat yourself with something nice, because you deserve it
- Send presents to others because you may not feel well enough to go out
How could someone get started with this and what or who could support them if they were not sure about getting started?
- Find something that is easy to register in and has a support service in place
- Our service has a very easy online registration, we only ask a few questions
- There is also an option to sign up for free or pay $137 pa to have access to the ECards and an extra 6% discount on the 15,000 online stores
- I am also happy to hold an information session/s with people who would be interested to come along
- I would certainly be happy to take phone calls and assist people through the steps
Do you have any other message you’d like to share to support others trying something new (especially when they aren’t familiar or comfortable with technology)?
- Don’t be afraid of technology, when you are shopping online you really can’t break anything and that always ask before you check out if you are sure this is what you want
- People may say, it’s easy for you to say don’t be afraid, I am by no means tech savvy, everything changes daily so we just have to go with the flow and it’s okay to make a mistake, in most cases we would be able to assist somehow